High90 Altitude Rush – Training for Kilimanjaro
Live Above The Clouds
Wrap up the Nyandarua Ranges in 90 days
You are a confident intermediate hiker. You’ve just completed the Rookie Program or Beginner to Mt. Kenya program; now what? It’s time to play in the big boys club: live above the clouds! The Outdoorer High90 Altitude Rush Program is a progressive 12-week advanced hiker course specially designed with three key goals in mind: orient you to hiking the high altitudes, build endurance to conditions in the high altitudes, and ready you up for any major independent mountaineering after that–such as Mt. Kilimanjaro or Mt. Kenya climbs.
High90 Altitude Rush Summary
Q3 2022 Hikes Schedule
CitizenTicket – Ksh 21,500/=
Resident Ticket – Ksh 22,000/=
Non-Resident Ticket – Ksh 67,200/=
Citizen/Resident Payment Plan
Pay 9,000/= non-refundable deposit before the program start date (September 17, 2022).
Pay 6,800/= by October 16
Clear the balance by November 15
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
The High90 Altitude Rush program is a series of high-altitude hikes (3,300+m above sea level), one every two weeks. By strategically walking the 6 core events of the program, you will unlock our self-coined beast hiker level by the end of the course, ready to continue on the journey to becoming a knighted beast in The Altomatum program.
Who Can Join The High90 Altitude Rush Program?
- Outdoorer Rookie program or Beginner to Mt. Kenya program graduates.
- Intermediate hikers looking to graduate to high altitude hikes
- Intermediate and advanced hikers training for Kilimanjaro or Mt. Kenya climbs.
Why The High90 Altitude Rush Program?
- High-altitude endurance training helps you master your body’s performance at high altitudes.
- Mastering your body’s performance at high altitudes is vital as far as taking up a climb to Mt. Kilimanjaro goes.
High90 Altitude Rush 2022 Q3 Calendar and Schedule
September 20 (8-9 p.m):- Virtual Session
We kick off the program with a one-hour virtual session four days before the first event. The goal of the session is to get acquainted with the team and get a run-through of the program and what to expect. This will include Q&A.
September 24 – Wandare Dash
We kick off the High90 Altitude Rush Program on a high, as we immerse ourselves into the Nyandarua magic, on a less-frequented gentle trail to the highest point of the third-highest mountain in Kenya, Oldoinyo Lesatima. Our access gate of choice is the Wandare Gate, off the Nyeri-Nyahururu highway near Mweiga.
We begin our expedition by driving 15km into the park, through the dense bamboo forest, to get to the trailhead. We then hit the 10.5km trail through the beautiful-beautiful golden moorland to get to the Oldoinyo Lesatima peak at 4,001m above sea level.
Maximum Elevation: 4,001m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 852m
Duration: 6-8 hours
October 8 - Table Mountain Max Edition - New Trail
If you ever visited the old Table Mountain trail before it was closed, you are familiar with the maddening steepness it flexed. And if that shocked you, the new trail may only be stuff of the nightmares. But then, that's what you are in the High90 Program for!
The 5.6km trail starts at Mikeu, taking you through an initial steep ascent. The trail then takes a plunge down to the river and then eases into a brief, gentle trek along the river line to a second river crossing. Next comes a shockingly steep, near-vertical ascent for a kilometer and a half to connect with the old trail. Past here is another brief gentle trek, another brief steep ascent, and then onto the final gentle trek through the moorland. The trail ends at the Table Mountain peak, at an elevation of 3,792m above sea level.
Total distance: 9km
Hiking time: 6-8 hours
October 22 - Mt. Kipipiri
Next, we tone down the altitude for a moment to experience a different kind of challenge. The Mt. Kipipiri hike is one that will challenge you both physically and mentally. Flanked off the main range, the mountain is often overlooked by hikers. The one-way trail starts at the Geta Forest Station on a well-paved footpath, before ushering you into thick forest vegetation, across rivers, and up and down small valleys to get to the rocky unmarked summit that rises to 3,349m ASL 13.5km later. The trail then takes a sharp, short 4.5km descent to bring you to the end of the hike at Miharati on the Njabini-Ol Kalou road.
Maximum Elevation: 3,349m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 849m
Duration: 8-9 hours
November 5 - Seven Ponds
If steep trails excite you, the Seven Ponds hike will exhilarate you. Located conveniently between the notoriously steep Table Mountain and Rurimeria trails, the Seven Ponds trail combines the dramatic steepness of her two siblings. It delivers a breathtaking trek across the golden moorland leading to the seven ponds. The 5.5km trail starts near the Kwa Matu Shopping center and ends at an elevation of 3,831m at the seven natural ponds in the northern Nyandarua moorland.
Maximum Elevation: 3,831m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,048m
Duration: 6-8 hours
November 19 - Rurimeria
Maximum Elevation: 3,860m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,190m
Duration: 6-8 hours
December 3 - Mt. Kinangop Tribute
We finish the High90 Altitude Rush Program with a bang! Rising to 3,906m ASL, Mt. Kinangop is tough and awe-inspiring at the same time. It is the second-highest peak of the Nyandarua Range and delivers a challenging but immensely rewarding hike. This duality has earned it the moniker “Mother Kinangop”.
Maximum Elevation: 3,906m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,263m
Duration: 9-10 hours
High90 Altitude Rush Program Charges
Citizens: Ksh 21,500/=
Residents: Ksh 22,000/=***
Non-Residents: Ksh 67,200/=
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees where applicable
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water, glucose, and 4 fruits for each day hike
Package DOES NOT include
- Hiking gear, clothes, and other personal effects
- Anything else not mentioned in the 'Package Includes' list
High90 Altitude Rush Program Payment Plan
1st Installment - Pay a non-refundable booking confirmation deposit of Ksh 9,000/= (0r 42% of the program cost for non-residents) before the program start date (September 17, 2022)
2nd Installment - Top up 32% of the total cost by day 30 of the program
3rd Installment - Clear the package balance by day 60 of the program
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
Cancellation and Refunds Policy
– The booking confirmation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to a future event or program.
– The booking and booking confirmation deposit are transferrable to a different person on or before the program start date.
– Where cancellation is requested on or before the program start date, Ksh 9,000 or 42% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after the program start date, and on or before day 50 of the program, Ksh 15,500 or 72% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after day 50 of the program, and before day 60 of the program, Ksh 17,500, or 82% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested on or after day 60 of the program, no refund will be issued.
– The High90 Altitude Rush Program ticket is bundled and may not be split into specific event tickets. Therefore, no-shows may not claim any amount for any event they miss.
– The High90 Altitude Rush Program subscription will be put on hold as soon as a milestone payment falls overdue.
– The High90 Altitude Rush ticket expires immediately a milestone payment becomes seven (7) days overdue. The ticket is deemed canceled on the date of expiry and the cancellation policy applies.
– An expired ticket may be revived by topping up the deposits paid to the sum total of the per-event rate for all events in the bundled ticket.
– Participation in the prep hikes is mandatory, otherwise, no adjustments will be made to the final cost.
– No-shows forfeit the entire deposits paid up.