Mt. Kipipiri Traverse
Mt. Kipipiri: The Prodigal Son of the Aberdares
Flanked off the main Nyandarua Range, the Mt. Kipipiri traverse is as exciting as most other Aberdare hikes. The seemingly never-ending trail starts at the Geta Forest Station near Getabush, up to the Mt. Kipipiri summit (3,363m ASL), and then down a steep 4.5km stretch.
⚠️ Allergy Warning: Bees, Pollen.
The hike starts on a well-paved dirt road before detouring into the woods. The terrain deceptively feels fairly flat most of the way—it is anything but! The 13km walk to the Mt. Kipipiri summit is exhausting, only softened by the beautiful flora, bountiful forest scents and soothing birdsongs. Coming down the mountain is equally challenging, forcing your knees to go into overdrive.
Kipipiri Traverse Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 3,363m ASL
Maximum Elevation Gain: 902m
Duration: 6-8 hours
Child-friendly: Fit hikers 12yo and above
2023 Dates: February 4, June 17, October 21
Kipipiri Traverse Itinerary
4:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
4:30 a.m Departure for Geta Forest Station.
08:00 Arrival at Geta Forest Station
08:30 a.m Hike Starts
EST 05:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Kipiri Traverse Charges
Kenyan & E.A Citizens: 3,400/=
Kenyan Residents: 3,600/=
How to book the Kipipiri Traverse
Pay at least 2,150/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter. Proof of booking confirmation may be required.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes.
– Comfortable warm hiking clothes: quick-dry pants, quick-dry t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Rain poncho, rain jacket and rain pants
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.