Quarterly Outdoorer Mt Kenya Sirimon Route
2023 Dates: January 27-29, June 9-11, October 13-15
- Full-board accommodation in mountain huts.
- Three meals a day while at the mountain;
- Park fees;
- Services of a professional team including guides, paramedic(s), cooks, and porters;
- Emergency preparedness equipment: oxygen tanks and stretchers; and
- Transfers to and from Nairobi.
- Sleeping bag.
- Porters Bag.
- Accommodation before or after the expedition.
- Personal effects, including clothes, shoes, and daypacks.
- Mandatory AMREF evacuation cover. If you do not have it, get your cover with AMREF for Ksh 1,600/= (one-month cover) or Ksh 2,500/= (annual cover).
- Anything else not mentioned in the “Price Includes” list
Gear Cost Projections
- Thrifted hiking gear – Ksh 25,000-40,000
- Brand new hiking gear – Ksh 70,000-120,000/=
Other Points to Consider
- Pre-expedition altitude acclimatization increases your chances of getting to Point Lenana without experiencing severe altitude sickness. Consider undertaking a preparatory hike to 3,500m above sea level within the week preceding the expedition.
- Do not travel to low altitude within the week preceding the expedition. Doing so greatly decreases your body’s ability to acclimatize with elevation gain and, consequently, increases the risk of altitude sickness.
- Come with an open mind. The goal is to attempt the summit push. You shall never conquer the mountain; you can only conquer yourself.
- On tipping, it is customary to tip porters and crew on mountaineering expeditions. You are not obliged, but we recommend carrying tips in cash–just in case you decide to tip. Tipping into the collective kitty is, traditionally, fairer than tipping specific members of the crew.
Outdoorer Mt Kenya Sirimon Route Climb Itinerary
DAY 1: Nairobi – Nanyuki – Old Moses Camp (3,300m)
07:30 a.m:- Meet up with Team Outdoorer opposite International House street Parking, City Hall Way, for briefing and gear inspection.
09:00 a.m:- Departure for Mt. Kenya Sirimon Gate
After registration at the gate, we drive a further 9km on a well-paved road through the forest to get to Old Moses Camp. This will be our home for the night. We shall have our lunch and then take a light 2.5km stroll to the weather station in the afternoon for altitude acclimatization, before coming back to the camp. Later on, we will have our evening tea, snacks, and dinner and retire early, in readiness for what day 2 has to offer.
Day 2:- Trek to Shiptons Camp (4,200m)
Max elevation gain:- 900m
After breakfast, we hit the trail to our next camp on the Outdoorer Mt Kenya Sirimon Route Climb. Our 14km hiking trail takes us past three river crossings and the breathtaking Likii and Mackinder Valleys. Should the weather be favorable, prepare to be enchanted by the glorious views of the peaks throughout the day, as they beckon us closer and closer, urging us to take them on. We shall make a brief stop by a river at Lunch Point, where we shall have our packed lunch. Our ascent ends at the Shiptons Camp, right below the peaks. This will be our home for the night.
Day 3:- Conquering ourselves at Point Lenana (4,985m) – Home Sweet Home
Hiking Distance: 19km
Max elevation gain:- 785m
We wake up at 2 a.m, have breakfast immediately, and begin our steep 2.5km trek to Point Lenana (4,985m ASL) by 2:45 a.m. An early ascent guarantees us magical views of sunrise at dawn from the summit if we make it on time.
After conquering ourselves at Point Lenana, we hit the trail again down the steep descent back to Shiptons Camp. We shall have breakfast, collect our packed lunch, and then take on the 14 km trek down to Old Moses Camp. Here we shall board our vehicles and hit the road for Nairobi. We hope our hearts will be fuller and our souls richer, as we walk out boldly, having unlocked Mt. Kenya 4985.
ETA at Old Moses Camp: 4-6 p.m
How To Book the Outdoorer Mt Kenya Sirimon Expedition
Cancellations & Refunds
– Where cancellation is requested more than 5 days before the event date, a 50% refund on the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. Any excess above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 5 days or less before the event date, the booking confirmation deposit will be forfeited. Any excess above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event start date, no refund will be issued.
– No refunds will be issued where participation is denied due to non-compliance with the rules and regulations, safety guidelines, and/or the failure to comply with the minimum gear requirements.
– No-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.
– The booking confirmation deposit is non-transferable to a future event.
– The booking confirmation deposit is transferable to a different person at the same event.