Mt. Longonot Hike — Crater Circuit
Come challenge yourself at Mt. Longonot. Why? You do not need a reason to stay fit. Located approximately 60 kilometers from the capital city of Nairobi, Mt. Longonot hike is a popular escape for outdoorers seeking fun and adventure. At the very basic level, hiking to its rim provides a fitness challenge, with the reward of a spectacular view across the Rift Valley.
The entire Mt. Longonot hike takes 4-6 hours. The 3.1-kilometer trail up the mountain from the gate to the rim of the crater takes 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on one’s competence. Once you reach the rim, you have the choice to descend or hike all the way around the crater. This adds some 7.2 km to the hike. A trek around the rim typically takes 2-3 hours. Mt Longonot hike presents a good challenge for everyone, kids, beginners, and advanced hikers alike.
Mt. Longonot Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 2780m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 996m
Duration: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Mt. Longonot Hike Itinerary
5:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:30 a.m Departure for Mt. Longonot National Park.
08:00 a.m Arrival at Mt. Longonot National Park.
08:30 a.m Hike Starts
01:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent
EST 04:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Mt. Longonot Hike Charges
East African Citizens: 2,700/=
Kenyan residents: 2,700/=
E.A Citizen Self-drive: 2,000/=
How to Book the Mt. Longonot Hike
Pay at least 1,650/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter. Proof of booking confirmation may be required.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable sneakers, hiking boots, or other appropriate shoes.
– Comfortable hiking clothes: quick-dry pants/shorts, quick-dry t-shirt, light jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, dates, raisins, or fruits.
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants.
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
COVID -19 PROTOCOLS
- For your and others' protection, we shall require you to wear a face mask while riding the bus on the to and fro commute. Please bring enough masks with you.
- It is your responsibility to protect yourself before you require the enforcement of COVID-19 protocols. If you can hike in a mask, by all means do it. Otherwise, we urge you to ensure you are socially distanced on the trails.
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.