Ngong Hills Hike — Max Edition
Located approximately 35km from Nairobi is a series of seven hills, named after the closest town, Ngong. Ngong Hills present a good weekend escape for visitors from Nairobi on a picnic, walk, team-building and especially, hiking. There are unlimited options for tackling the Ngong Hills hike, making it a popular destination for a day’s hike. You may go over any number of hills and back to your starting point.
The hills can be accessed via either one of two gates: Ngong Gate or Kona Baridi Gate. The majority of hikers only attempt to get to the highest peak (2,460m above sea level), while others cross over to exit via the other gate.
This March, we push our limits as we challenge ourselves on a seemingly-moderate, yet worthy challenge. We will scale all seven hills, starting at the Ngong gate, get to the Kona Baridi gate, back over the seven hills again to come back to the Ngong gate.
Distance and Stats
Duration: 6-8 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to Hard
Child-friendly: Yes, 10 years and above
Ngong Hills Hike Itinerary
6:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
6:30 a.m Departure for Ngong Hills
07:30 Arrival at Ngong Forest Reserve Gate
08:00 a.m Hike Starts
01:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back
EST 04:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
Book Ngong Hills Hike Online
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Ngong Road pickups should make arrangements with the team lead by 8 p.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes.
- There will be no shopping stops in the morning. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time. Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi before curfew.
Adult residents: 1,999/=
Kids (7-14 years): 1,799/=
How to Book the Ngong Hills Hike
Pay at least 1,200/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance by March 18.
- Total Number of Tickets: 60
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
– Transport from Nairobi and back
– Park fees & charges
– Guide fees
– A liter of water and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting — take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house — or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable sneakers, hiking boots, or other appropriate shoes.
– Comfortable hiking clothes. Jeans highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, dates, raisins, or fruits.
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants
*** Note: KFS reserves do not allow plastics in. Please carry your supplies in reusable containers.
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
Cancellations & Refunds
– Cancellation requested more than 48 hours before the event date: 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit.
– Cancellation requested within 48 hours or less: booking confirmation deposit non-refundable.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 NOTICE:
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
– Wear a mask at all times, especially while onboard a vehicle.
– Observe social distancing at all times.
– Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
– Limiting sitting capacity in our vehicles:
* a 28-seater sits 15 people
* a 40-seater sits 22 people
– Requirement of a mask at all times while onboard a vehicle.
– Taking temperature readings while boarding a vehicle.
– Provision of sanitizers during boarding and onboard.