Northern Nyandarua Traverse — Overnight, Hotel Accommodation
Getabush – Rurimeria – Seven Ponds – Table Mountain Exit
We push through the season of beasts and brutes by traversing the three shockingly steep trails of the Nyandarua Ranges. The Northern Nyandarua Traverse is something every hiker needs to experience at least once. This is so much more than a three-summit hiking trip; it is a rite of passage, a pilgrimage, a passage from one life stage to the next. So just what is this trail? By definition, a traverse is “an expedition or journey across an area that crosses the path of an earlier expedition or journey.” And that’s exactly what this is…a path that crosses itself.
We start our expedition at Getabush, up the brutal, steep-steep trail of Rurimeria, onto the Rurimeria summit (3,860m ASL) down through the shimmering golden moorland of the Northern Aberdares, toward the beautiful-beautiful Seven Ponds (3,827m ASL). We then head to the magnificent Table Mountain (3,792m ASL) before coming down the steep Table mountain trail to exit at Kwa Matu Shopping Center.
As with the Southern Nyandarua Traverse, the Northern Nyandarua Traverse is only for the fittest hikers who’ve done it all, seen it all, and are looking for a new adventure to spice up their hiking life. It is a treat for every hiker and adventure lover with an instinct to set new records.
To be fair, we are known for helping hikers go farther, climb higher, and conquer themselves, and that’s exactly what we intend to do with the Northern Nyandarua Traverse. We travel Friday night and sleepover in Naivasha before heading out before dawn to hit the trails by 6:30 a.m.
Northern Nyandarua Traverse Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,179m
Duration: 10-12 hours
Northern Nyandarua Traverse Itinerary
Friday, October 7, 2022:
7:45 p.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
8:00 p.m Departure for Montana Resort, Naivasha
10:00 p.m Arrival at Montana Resort, Naivasha
Saturday, October 8, 2022:
03:30 a.m Wake up, freshen up, and have breakfast
04:30 a.m Departure for Getabush
6:00 a.m Arrival at Getabush
6:30 a.m Hike Starts
EST 5:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Book Northern Nyandarua Traverse Online
***Resident ticket price may change if the relevant authorities review park fees before the event date.
How to book the Northern Nyandarua Traverse
Pay at least 4,100/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Book online and get 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Accommodation in Naivasha - Private room, bed & breakfast
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water, glucose, and 4 fruits
Note: Vehicles seat at full capacity effective December 15, 2021.
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes. No sneakers or rubber shoes, please.
– Comfortable warm hiking clothes: quick-dry pants, quick-dry t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Rain poncho, rain jacket and rain pants
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times, especially while on-board a vehicle.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
- Provision of masks during boarding and on-board.
- Requirement of a mask at all times while on-board a vehicle.
- Provision of sanitizers during boarding and on-board.