Mt Kilimambogo Hike – Oldonyo Sabuk
We kick off a new Beginner to Mt. Kenya season with gentle trails all over again, and Mt Kilimambogo hike is our first trail of choice. The perfect trail for beginners looking for a challenge to kickstart their outdoor fitness journey, Mt. Kilimambogo is located within the Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park along the Thika-Garissa highway.
The mountain rises to 2,145m above sea level on a gentle 6km trail. The round hike to the summit and back to the gate covers approximately 12km and is typically completed within 4-6 hours of hiking at a moderate pace. If you like a slightly bigger challenge, you can skip the footpath and take your entire hike on the dirt road winding up the mountain. This adds 3km to your hike each way. Expect breathtaking views of the surroundings along the way, as you trek through the virgin forest.
Mt Kilimambogo Hike Distance and Stats
Maximum Elevation: 2,145m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 720m
Duration: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Fair to moderate
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
2023 Dates: January 14, May 27, September 30
Mt Kilimambogo Hike Itinerary
5:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:30 a.m Departure for Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park.
07:15 a.m Arrival at Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park.
7:45 a.m Hike Starts
12:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent
EST 04:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Our pickup point is typically on City Hall Way. Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Mt. Kilimambogo Hike Charges
Kenyan & E.A Citizens: 2,650/=
Kenyan Residents: 2,650/=
Citizen/Resident Self-drive: 2,000/=
How to Book the Mt Kilimambogo Hike
Pay at least 1,650/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter. Proof of booking confirmation may be required.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
Receive WhatsApp Group Updates
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable sneakers, hiking boots, or other appropriate shoes.
– Comfortable hiking clothes: quick-dry pants/shorts, quick-dry t-shirt, light jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, dates, raisins, or fruits.
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants.
*** Note: Plastics are prohibited. Please carry your supplies and water in reusable containers.
Click here for a quick gear guide
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
- Marvin hat or baseball cap
- Hiking pole
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.