Oldoinyo Eburru Forest Hike – Western Summit Trail
Eburru Forest: a trekker’s paradise. Stashed away in the outskirts of Naivasha, the sudden transition from the scorching Naivasha sun to the serene ambiance of the Eburru forest hike takes you aback at first. The hike starts at the Eburru gate, taking you through 11km of pure enchantment.
The magic follows you throughout the trek — up and down, up and down through the thick forest vegetation. It’s in the hundreds-year-old trees, the singing of the birds, the Ogiek beehives, the smell of blossoming flowers, and yes, the stinging nettles — especially the stinging nettles!
A precious mountain forest ecosystem, the natural features of Eburru forest, include its diverse forest types, steep valleys, springs, and waterfalls and make it a precious ecosystem, rich in biodiversity.
The trek through the forest walks you among hundreds of majestic indigenous trees, a hotspot for birdlife, and home to over 40 species of mammals. Eburru forest is also home to the critically endangered mountain bongo, whose 10% of its population (about 12 animals) known to exist in the wild is thought to survive in this forest.
The Oldoinyo Eburru mountain, on which the forest exists, is a complex volcano, featuring many craters and two distinct summits, the higher one rising to 2,856m above sea level.
The trek from the Eburru gate to the Western Summit trail start point is a rewarding easy-to-moderate 5km hike. The rest of the trek to the Western summit is a moderate-to-hard hike that provides a thrilling hiking experience, cutting through thick forest vegetation into the bamboo zone and eventually to the elusive summit.
We return to Eburru Forest to unlock Oldoinyo Eburru once more.
Eburru Forest Hike Distance and Stats
Maximum Elevation: 2,856m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 836m
Duration: 6-8 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Eburru Forest Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Eburru Forest, Naivasha
08:30 Arrival at Eburru Gate.
09:00 a.m Hike Starts
01:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back
5:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Eburru Forest Hike Charges
Adult citizens: 3,200/=
Adult residents: 3,500/=
How to Book the Eburru Forest Hike
Pay at least 1,900/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter. Proof of booking confirmation may be required.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable sneakers, hiking boots, or other appropriate shoes.
– Comfortable hiking clothes: quick-dry pants/shorts, quick-dry t-shirt, light jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, dates, raisins, or fruits.
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants.
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
COVID -19 PROTOCOLS
- For your and others' protection, we shall require you to wear a face mask while riding the bus on the to and fro commute. Please bring enough masks with you.
- It is your responsibility to protect yourself before you require the enforcement of COVID-19 protocols. If you can hike in a mask, by all means do it. Otherwise, we urge you to ensure you are socially distanced on the trails.
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.