Rookie to Advanced Hiker: The Beginner’s Hiking Course
If you ever wanted to start hiking but did not know where to start, or you were afraid that it would be too difficult, our Rookie to Advanced Hiker program is specially crafted just for you.
Hiking is a sport and being a hiker is a skill of its own. There’s the gear, preparation, mental aspects, and much more. The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program is a 12-week course designed to both instruct and inspire you to walk the great outdoors. No prior hiking experience is required. By strategically walking the 6 core events of the program, you will become a competent hiker by the end of the course.
Right from the start, we will show you how to walk the outdoors, and everything that is required for your survival and safety — from the basics of keeping yourself safe on the trails to a guide on how to select proper gear. We’ll be there with you every step of the way. This ensures that you take consistent steps towards harnessing the power of walking outside for your fitness goals.
January – March 2022
January 8 – Kilimambogo
January 22 – Kijabe Hills
February 5 – Mt. Longonot
February 19 – Table Mountain
March 5 – Trek to Mackinders
March 19 – Dragon’s Teeth – Mt. Satima
Citizen/Resident Ticket – Ksh 18,000/=
Citizen/Resident Payment Plan
Pay 6,500/= non-refundable deposit
Pay 7,900/= by February 1
Pay 3,600/= by March 1
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program is for you if:
- You have no prior hiking experience.
- You want to start hiking but have absolutely no clue where to start.
- You simply want to learn hiking with no short-term goals to climb Mt. Kenya as in the Beginner to Mt. Kenya Program.
Rookie to Advanced Hiker 2022 Calendar & Schedule
The Rookie to Advanced Hiker program features a series of six hikes, one every two weeks, with increasing difficulty, targeted toward building resilience. The program runs thrice every year from January to March, May to July, and September to November. The current schedule is as follows.
January 4 (8-9 p.m):- Virtual Session
We kick off the program with a one-hour virtual session four days before the first event. The goal of the session is to get acquainted with the team and get a run-through of the program and what to expect. This will include Q&A.
January 8:- Ol Donyo Sabuk – Mt. Kilimambogo
Our maiden expedition to Mt. Kilimambogo is a fair-to-moderate hiking experience meant to spark your interest in outdoor fitness life. The mountain is located along the Thika-Garissa highway, within the Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park. The trail begins at the base of the mountain, covering 9km to the summit at an elevation of 2,145m above sea level.
Goal: Introduction to hiking
Total distance: 18km
Hiking time: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Fair to moderate
January 9 (2-4 p.m):- Orientation Day – The Nairobi Arboretum
Goal: Orientation to hiking gear and rules
We proceed to a two-hour orientation session at The Nairobi Arboretum, where you get to be introduced to the various hiking gear you will need along the way. You shall also be taken through the dos and don’ts of hiking–rules and guidelines to keep you safe, alive, and well on the trails.
January 22:- Kijabe Hills
Hiking the Kijabe Hills presents a good challenge to every adventure-seeking lover of the outdoors. On our second hike, we set out to discover the magic of the Kijabe Hills Hike. Our expedition starts at the AIC Kijabe Hospital, cutting through thick forest vegetation, to get to the caves and hot springs. We shall then proceed to the dark tunnel, an underground man-made water tunnel, with no light at the end. [Pun very much intended.] If you are bold enough, you will attempt to get to the end of the 1km pitch-dark tunnel.
Next, we will conquer ourselves by scaling the three Kijabe Hills, to get to a maximum elevation of 2,688m above sea level. Here, we will enjoy breathtaking views of the Rift Valley, with Mt. Longonot standing gracefully just a few kilometers across. Finally, we shall descend toward the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway, to exit via Soko Mjinga, where we shall connect with our transfer vehicles to Nairobi.
Goal: Introduction hiking
Duration: 5-7 hours
February 5:- Mt. Longonot Crater Circuit
Mt. Longonot is a volcano on the Rift Valley floor, located approximately 75km from Nairobi. The Mt. Longonot hike is a moderate-to-hard hike. The trail starts at the base of the mountain, rising steeply on a 3.1km stretch to the crater rim, and then covering 7.2km around the crater. The Mt. Longonot summit stands at 2,776m above sea level, giving spectacular views across the Rift Valley.
Goal: Orientation to steep terrain
Total distance: 13.5km
Hiking time: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
I came across the #beginnertomtkenya program in December 2020, at a time when the pandemic had brought my business to its knees. I badly wanted to sign up for the program amidst these mixed emotions. I decided to not wait for things to get better, so I went ahead. My family and friends… Read more “My only resolution for the year 2021 was: do hard things!”
I barely played any sports in school, and I was the quintessential nerdy introvert, who preferred staying indoors instead of playing ‘Bano’, ‘Brikicho’, Stuck in the mud’ or heaven forbid, ‘Cha Mama na Cha Baba.’ 🙈 Fast forward to adulthood, and I started making small intentional steps toward self-awareness, healing, and self-re-discovery. It is in… Read more “I did not grow up an outdoorsy child”
Before this year, I had never hiked a day in my life; it is something I always wanted to do but never got started. Last year I lost a dear friend who had become family; it hit me hard, as I had never experienced death so close. It made me realize how fragile life is:… Read more “I got to summit Mt.Kenya, and the experience was surreal!”
Introduction to Tougher Trails
February 19:- Table Mountain, Aberdares
The Aberdares trails deliver unforgettable experiences, filling you with all kinds of emotions, from awe to anxiety, and the Table Mountain trail is no exception. The 4.5km trail starts at the Wanjohi Shopping Center, taking you through an initial steep ascent, before easing onto a gentle trek through the moorland. The trail ends at the Table Mountain peak, at an elevation of 3,792m above sea level.
This is a hard hike, which will introduce you to the unpredictable, harsh weather conditions at higher altitudes and deliver a new experience hiking through the various montane vegetation zones, in preparation for the Mt. Kenya climb.
Goal: Altitude acclimatization, Orientation to steep terrain
Total distance: 9km
Hiking time: 6-8 hours
March 5:- Mt. Kenya Kionjo - The Mackinders Quest
Next, we will go on a unique mission to set our eyes on future goals: the big mountain. Our route choice will be the Naromoru route, as the trail is short, making it possible to trek all the way to the Mackinders camp (4,300m ASL) on a day trip, where we will enjoy glorious views of the peaks.
Our 10km trail will start at the Met Camp (3,048m ASL), cutting through the marshy vertical bog in the lower moorland zone, past the upper moorland zone, dotted with lobelias and other beautiful montane vegetation, to get to the magnificent Teleki Valley. The ascent ends at the Mackinders Camp, where we will enjoy scenic views of the peaks -- if the weather will be favorable -- and then descend back to Met Camp for our transfers back to Nairobi.
Goal: Orientation to high altitude
Total distance: 20km
Hiking time: 7-9 hours
Climax: Unveiling the Competent Hiker in You
March 19:- Mt. Satima Dragon's Teeth Trail
Rising to an altitude of 4,001m (13,126ft) above sea level, Ol Donyo Lesatima is the highest of the Aberdares peaks and the third-highest peak in Kenya. It is located on the Nothern side of the Aberdare range and can be accessed via two points: Mweiga and Shamata Gates.
On our final hike, we will set out on the Dragon's Teeth trail via the Shamata Gate, hoping to conquer ourselves on Satima Peak.
The gentle 8km trail will take us through a hiker's paradise, trekking through fields of lush alpine vegetation, spotting a few wild animals, and walking past countless rows of magnificent craggy moraines, dubbed “Dragon’s Teeth”. The Dragon's Teeth trail delivers some of the most breathtaking views of all hiking trails in Kenya.
Goal: Conquering the third-highest mountain in Kenya
Total distance: 16km
Hiking time: 7-9 hours
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program Charges (Jan-Mar 2022)
Citizens: Ksh 18,000/=
Residents: Ksh 18,000/=***
Non-Residents: Ksh 36,000/=
***Resident ticket price may change if the relevant authorities review park fees before the event date.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees where applicable
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water, glucose, and 4 fruits for each day hike
Package DOES NOT include
- Hiking gear, clothes, and other personal effects
- Anything else not mentioned in the 'Package Includes' list
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program Payment Plan
1st Installment - Pay a non-refundable booking confirmation deposit of Ksh 6,500/= (0r 35% of the program cost for non-residents)
2nd Installment - Top up 44% of the total cost by day 30 of the program
3rd Installment - Clear the package balance by day 60 of the program
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
Cancellation and Refunds Policy
– The booking confirmation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to a future event or program.
– The booking and booking confirmation deposit are transferrable to a different person on or before the program start date.
– Where cancellation is requested on or before the program start date, Ksh 6,500 or 35% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after the program start date, and on or before day 50 of the program, Ksh 12,000 or 65% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after day 50 of the program, and before day 60 of the program, Ksh 14,400, or 80% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested on or after day 60 of the program, no refund will be issued.
– The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program ticket is bundled and may not be split into specific event tickets. Therefore, no-shows may not claim any amount for any event they miss.
– The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program subscription will be put on hold as soon as a milestone payment falls overdue.
– The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program ticket expires immediately a milestone payment becomes seven (7) days overdue. The ticket is deemed canceled on the date of expiry and the cancellation policy applies.
– An expired ticket may be revived by topping up the deposits paid to the sum total of the per-event rate for all events in the bundled ticket.
– Participation in the prep hikes is mandatory, otherwise, no adjustments will be made to the final cost.
– No-shows forfeit the entire deposits paid up.
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times, especially while on-board a vehicle.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
- Provision of masks during boarding and on-board.
- Requirement of a mask at all times while on-board a vehicle.
- Provision of sanitizers during boarding and on-board.