Southern Nyandarua Traverse — Overnight, Hotel Accommodation
Mutarakwa Forest – Kinangop Peak – Elephant Hill Peak – Njabini Exit
Prepare for a lung-busting weekend as we take you through, quite possibly, the most intense hiking challenge of all time. The Southern Nyandarua Traverse is a challenging 12+ hour hike that takes you through the heart of the Aberdare forests, not just to the famous Kinangop Peak (3,906m ASL) but also Elephant Hill Peak (3,658m ASL), with an exit via the Njabini gate.
Try it if you dare! The Southern Nyandarua Traverse is only for the fittest hikers who’ve done it all, seen it all, and are looking for a new adventure to spice up their hiking life. It is a treat for every hiker and adventure lover with an instinct to set new records.
To be fair, we are known for helping hikers go farther, climb higher, and conquer themselves, and that’s exactly what we intend to do with the Kinangop-Elephant Hill Traverse. We travel Friday night and sleepover in Naivasha before heading out before dawn to hit the trails by 6:30 a.m.
Southern Nyandarua Traverse Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1,418m
Duration: 12-14 hours
Southern Nyandarua Traverse Itinerary
September 9, 2022
7:45 p.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
8:00 p.m Departure for Montana Resort, Naivasha
10:00 p.m Arrival at Montana Resort, Naivasha
September 10, 2022
03:30 a.m Wake up, freshen up, and have breakfast
04:30 a.m Departure for Mt. Kinangop Mutarakwa Forest Trail Start
6:00 a.m Arrival at the trail start
6:30 a.m Hike Starts
Note: This is a physically exerting hike, with the possibility of extending beyond the projected 12-hour itinerary. No estimate is available for departure time. Clear your weekend.
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
How to book the Southern Nyandarua Traverse
Pay at least 5,500/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter. Proof of booking confirmation may be required.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Accommodation in Naivasha - Private room, bed & breakfast
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water, glucose, and 4 fruits
Note: Vehicles seat at full capacity effective December 15, 2021.
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes. No sneakers or rubber shoes, please.
– Comfortable warm hiking clothes: quick-dry pants, quick-dry t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Rain poncho, rain jacket and rain pants
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.