The Mackinders Quest — Mt. Kenya Day Hike
If you want to experience Mt. Kenya on a tight budget, the Naromoru route is your perfect choice. The trail is short, making it possible to trek all the way to the Mackinders camp (4,300m ASL) on a day trip, where you enjoy glorious views of the peaks. Our 11km Mackinders Hike trail starts at the Met Camp (3,048m ASL), cutting through the marshy vertical bog in the lower moorland zone, past the upper moorland zone, dotted with lobelias and other beautiful montane vegetation, to get to the magnificent Teleki Valley.
Our ascent ends at the Mackinders Camp, where we will enjoy scenic views of the peaks — if the weather will be favorable — and then descend back to Met Camp for pickup back to Nairobi.
This is an important altitude acclimatization hike for the Beginner to Mt. Kenya program participants, as it simulates altitude sickness symptoms that may appear on the main Mt. Kenya climb. The experience will help you understand, identify, and communicate your altitude sickness symptoms long before they become severe.
Mackinders Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 4,300m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 1252m
Duration: 7-10 hours
Mackinders Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Mt. Kenya Naromoru Gate.
09:00 a.m Arrival at Mt. Kenya Naromoru Gate for registration.
09:30 a.m Departure for Met Camp
10:00 a.m Hike Starts
02:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
EST 06:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Our pickup point is typically on City Hall Way. Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Book Mackinders Hike Online
***Ticket price may change if the park fees are reviewed in the next fiscal year.
How to book the Mackinders Hike
Pay at least 2,400/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Book online and get 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
Note: Vehicles seat at full capacity effective December 15, 2021. You can purchase a preferential seating add-on ticket if you'd rather not sit shoulder to shoulder with other participants.
Click Addon to Buy:
Help keep our parks plastic-free. Purchase a soft flask to carry your water in and forget plastics for good. Click image to shop or view our leave-no-trace policy here.
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes. No sneakers or rubber shoes, please.
– Comfortable warm hiking clothes: quick-dry pants, quick-dry t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Rain poncho, rain jacket and rain pants
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times, especially while on-board a vehicle.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
- Provision of masks during boarding and on-board.
- Requirement of a mask at all times while on-board a vehicle.
- Provision of sanitizers during boarding and on-board.