Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Second Trail
The Nyandarua Ranges (Aberdares) are known for their high altitude, rolling moorland, and breathtaking views. The Northern Nyandarua moorland trails are especially scenic, featuring kilometers upon kilometers of shimmering golden moorland; that’s what makes them so satisfying.
We immerse ourselves into the Nyandarua magic all over again, this time on a less-frequented gentle trail to the highest point of the third-highest mountain in Kenya, Oldoinyo Lesatima. Our access gate of choice is the Wandare Gate, off the Nyeri-Nyahururu highway near Mweiga.
We begin our expedition by driving 15km into the park, through the dense bamboo forest, to get to the trail starting point. We then hit the 10.5km trail through the beautiful-beautiful golden moorland to get to the Oldoinyo Lesatima peak at 4,001m above sea level.
Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 4,001m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 852m
Duration: 6-8 hours
Child-friendly: Fit hikers 12yo and above
Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Itinerary
4:15 a.m Meet up at International House Street Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
4:30 a.m Departure for Mweiga KWS Aberdare National Park Headquarters
07:30 Arrival at Mweiga KWS Aberdare National Park Headquarters for registration
07:50 a.m Drive to Wandare Gate
10:00 a.m Arrival at the trail start point
02:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
EST 05:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Our pickup point is typically on City Hall Way. Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
E.A Citizens: 4,400/=
E.A Citizen Self-drive: 2,800/=
Kenyan Residents: 4,400/=
How to book the Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Hike
Pay at least 2,650/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter. Proof of booking confirmation may be required.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes.
– Comfortable warm hiking clothes: quick-dry pants, quick-dry t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Rain poncho, rain jacket and rain pants
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
COVID -19 PROTOCOLS
- For your and others' protection, we shall require you to wear a face mask while riding the bus on the to and fro commute. Please bring enough masks with you.
- It is your responsibility to protect yourself before you require the enforcement of COVID-19 protocols. If you can hike in a mask, by all means do it. Otherwise, we urge you to ensure you are socially distanced on the trails.
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.