Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Second Trail
The Nyandarua Ranges (Aberdares) are known for their high altitude, rolling moorland, and breathtaking views. The Northern Nyandarua moorland trails are especially scenic, featuring kilometers upon kilometers of shimmering golden moorland; that’s what makes them so satisfying.
We immerse ourselves into the Nyandarua magic all over again, this time on a less-frequented gentle trail to the highest point of the third-highest mountain in Kenya, Oldoinyo Lesatima. Our access gate of choice is the Wandare Gate, off the Nyeri-Nyahururu highway near Mweiga.
We begin our expedition by driving 15km into the park, through the dense bamboo forest, to get to the trail starting point. We then hit the 10.5km trail through the beautiful-beautiful golden moorland to get to the Oldoinyo Lesatima peak at 4,001m above sea level.
Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Hike Distance & Stats
Maximum Elevation: 4,001m
Maximum Elevation Gain: 852m
Duration: 6-8 hours
Child-friendly: Fit hikers 12yo and above
Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Street Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Mweiga KWS Aberdare National Park Headquarters
08:00 Arrival at Mweiga KWS Aberdare National Park Headquarters for registration
08:20 a.m Drive to Wandare Gate
10:30 a.m Arrival at the trail start point
02:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent to avoid encounters with wild animals after dusk
EST 05:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Our pickup point is typically on City Hall Way. Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Pickups should be requested by 10 a.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes. Only pickup is guaranteed; drivers use the best route based on traffic conditions on the return commute.
- There will be no shopping stops during the commute. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time (where applicable). Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi in good time.
Book Wandare Hike Online
***Ticket price may change if the park fees are reviewed in the next fiscal year.
How to book the Wandare Dash – Oldoinyo Lesatima Hike
Pay at least 2,550/= to Mpesa buy goods till 989985 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Book online and get 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop until the end of the quarter.
From your ticket payment, Outdoorer guarantees:
- 10:1 hiker to community guide ratio -- because getting lost is never funny.
- Additional guidance and support from Outdoorer staff team (at least 4 per event).
- At least one skilled paramedic (up to 4 depending on the group size).
- Other ticket-includes as detailed below.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water (bring your reusable water bottle), glucose, and 4 fruits
Note: Vehicles seat at full capacity effective December 15, 2021. You can purchase a preferential seating add-on ticket if you'd rather not sit shoulder to shoulder with other participants.
Click Addon to Buy:
Help keep our parks plastic-free. Purchase a soft flask to carry your water in and forget plastics for good. Click image to shop or view our leave-no-trace policy here.
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes. No sneakers or rubber shoes, please.
– Comfortable warm hiking clothes: quick-dry pants, quick-dry t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a baseball cap or sun hat. Jeans and cotton materials are highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Rain poncho, rain jacket and rain pants
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Latecomers and no-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times, especially while on-board a vehicle.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
- Provision of masks during boarding and on-board.
- Requirement of a mask at all times while on-board a vehicle.
- Provision of sanitizers during boarding and on-board.