Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days: #Resolutions2021
Everyone deserves a chance to push themselves beyond their normal limits. As part of our #Resolutions2021 campaign, we invite you to take up the challenge in our Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days program, nudge your adventure bug to bite and walk with us up Mt. Kenya at the end of the program.
In the program, we make the trek step by step towards your goals as we challenge ourselves to set new personal milestones and encourage you to do the same. The Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days program is a 13-week, 7-event outdoor fitness course, specially designed to meet the needs of a beginner, and get them to Mt Kenya Point Lenana in 90 days. The course features six prep hikes with increasing difficulty, targeted toward building resilience.
September – December 2021
September 18 – Kilimambogo
October 2 – William Hill
October 16 – Mt. Longonot
October 30 – Table Mountain
November 13 – Trek to Mackinders
November 27 – Dragon’s Teeth – Mt. Satima
December 2-5 – Mt. Kenya Chogoria Route
Citizen/Resident Ticket – Ksh 48,000/=
Citizen/Resident Payment Plan
Pay 6,000/= non-refundable deposit
Pay 8,400/= by October 14
Pay 14,400/= by November 3
Pay 19,200/= by November 18
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
Right from the start, we will show you how to walk the outdoors, and everything that is required for your survival and safety — from the basics of keeping yourself safe on the trails to a guide on how to select proper gear. We’ll be there with you every step of the way. This ensures that you take consistent steps towards harnessing the power of walking outside for your fitness goals, and on the 90th day, you’ll stand on top of Mt. Kenya itself!
Features of the Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Program
6 prep hikes (1 every two weeks)
4 days 3 nights package at Mt. Kenya Chogoria Route
Beginner to Mt. Kenya in 90 Days 2021 Calendar and Schedule
Sep 12:- Orientation Day – Nairobi Arboretum
Goal: Meet the team, orientation to hiking gear and rules
We kick off the program with a two-hour orientation session at Nairobi Arboretum, where you get to meet the team and get introduced to the various hiking gear you will need along the way. You shall also be taken through the dos and don’ts of hiking–rules and guidelines to keep you safe, alive, and well on the trails.
Sep 18:- Ol Donyo Sabuk – Mt. Kilimambogo
Our maiden expedition to Mt. Kilimambogo is a fair-to-moderate hiking experience meant to spark your interest in outdoor fitness life. The mountain is located along the Thika-Garissa highway, within the Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park. The trail begins at the base of the mountain, covering 9km to the summit at an elevation of 2,145m above sea level.
Goal: Introduction to hiking
Total distance: 18km
Hiking time: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Fair to moderate
Oct 2:- William Hill
William Hill is part of the Rift Valley escarpment on what’s commonly known as the Kikuyu Escarpment. The hiking trail starts at the old Italian Church along the Mai Mahiu highway. This is a moderate hike. The terrain is fairly flat, with a few steep rocky stretches. You get to enjoy amazing views of some features of the rift valley, such as Mt. Longonot, Kijabe Hill and Forest, and Mt. Margaret, as you ascend the one-way trail, to get to the peak near the highway at an elevation of 2,281m above sea level.
Goal: Introduction hiking
Total distance: 14km
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
Oct 16:- Mt. Longonot
Mt. Longonot is a volcano on the Rift Valley floor, located approximately 75km from Nairobi. The Mt. Longonot hike is a moderate-to-hard hike. The trail starts at the base of the mountain, rising steeply on a 3.1km stretch to the crater rim, and then covering 7.2km around the crater. The Mt. Longonot summit stands at 2,776m above sea level, giving spectacular views across the Rift Valley.
Goal: Orientation to steep terrain
Total distance: 13.5km
Hiking time: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
Introduction to Tougher Trails
Oct 30:- Table Mountain, Aberdares
The Aberdares trails deliver unforgettable experiences, filling you with all kinds of emotions, from awe to anxiety, and the Table Mountain trail is no exception. The 4.5km trail starts at the Wanjohi Shopping Center, taking you through an initial steep ascent, before easing onto a gentle trek through the moorland. The trail ends at the Table Mountain peak, at an elevation of 3,792m above sea level.
This is a hard hike, which will introduce you to the unpredictable, harsh weather conditions at higher altitudes and deliver a new experience hiking through the various montane vegetation zones, in preparation for the Mt. Kenya climb.
Goal: Altitude acclimatization
Total distance: 9km
Hiking time: 6-8 hours
Nov 13:- Mt. Kenya Kionjo – Trek to Mackinders
Slightly under a month to achieving our end goal on the Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days program, we will go on a unique mission to set our eyes on the prize. Our route choice will be the Naromoru route, as the trail is short, making it possible to trek all the way to the Mackinders camp (4,300m ASL) on a day trip, where we will enjoy glorious views of the peaks.
Our 10km trail will start at the Met Camp (3,048m ASL), cutting through the marshy vertical bog in the lower moorland zone, past the upper moorland zone, dotted with lobelias and other beautiful montane vegetation, to get to the magnificent Teleki Valley. The ascent ends at the Mackinders Camp, where we will enjoy scenic views of the peaks — if the weather will be favorable — and then descend back to Met Camp for our transfers back to Nairobi.
Goal: Altitude acclimatization
Total distance: 20km
Hiking time: 7-9 hours
Mt. Kenya-Ready: Altitude Acclimatization
Nov 27:- Mt. Satima Dragon’s Teeth Trail
Rising to an altitude of 4,001m (13,126ft) above sea level, Ol Donyo Lesatima is the highest of the Aberdares peaks and the third highest peak in Kenya. It is located on the Nothern side of the Aberdare range and can be accessed via two points: Mweiga and Shamata Gates.
On our final prep hike, we will set out on the Dragon’s Teeth trail via the Shamata Gate, hoping to conquer ourselves on Satima Peak.
The gentle 8km trail will take us through a hiker’s paradise, trekking through fields of lush alpine vegetation, spotting a few wild animals, and walking past countless rows of magnificent craggy moraines, dubbed “Dragon’s Teeth”. The Dragon’s Teeth trail delivers some of the most breathtaking views of all hiking trails in Kenya.
Goal: Altitude acclimatization
Total distance: 16km
Hiking time: 7-9 hours
Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Climax
Dec 2-5:- Conquering Point Lenana (4 days 3 Nights)
DAY 1: Nairobi – Chogoria Gate – Lake Ellis (3,400m asl)
On the first day of our Mt Kenya Chogoria route expedition, we will head straight into the mountain and soak in the beautiful views at the Nithi Fall and Caves and spend the night by the beautiful-beautiful Lake Ellis.
5:30 a.m:- Departure for Chogoria Town
10:00 a.m:- Arrival at Mt. Kenya Chogoria Gate. Here, we will connect with the Outdoorer Mt. Kenya team, meet and greet, and have brunch before hitting the trail.
11:30 a.m Trek to Lake Ellis (3,400m ASL)
Distance:- 7.5 – 9km Max elevation gain:- 600m
Day 2:- Journey to Camp Mintos (4,200m asl)
On the second day, we set out through the beautiful golden heather and moorland on a relatively steep trail, leading us to Camp Mintos, our home on the eve of getting to Point Lenana. Expect breathtaking views of valleys along the way.
Max elevation gain:- 800m
Day 3:- Conquering yourself (4,985m asl)
We will wake up at 1:30 a.m, have tea and snacks, and hit the trail by 2:30 a.m. This helps us get to Point Lenana in time for sunrise between 6 and 7 a.m, granting us breathtaking views across the country as far as the eye can see.
With our mission accomplished, we will head on to the enchanting Lake Michaelson for a calm afternoon and evening, reflecting on our journey throughout the Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days program.
Max elevation gain:- 785m
Day 4: Exit and Departure for Nairobi
After breakfast, we will have our graduation ceremony, in which we will get our medals and certificates and celebrate our achievements. We will then half-heartedly bid Lake Michaelson and the mountain farewell, as we trek beside the breathtaking Gorges Valley toward the Chogoria Gate, and back to Nairobi. We hope that our hearts will be fuller, our bodies healthier and our souls richer, as we come to the end of our Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 days program.
Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Program Charges (Sep-Dec 2021)
Citizens: Ksh 48,000/=
Residents: Ksh 48,000/=***
Non-Residents: Ksh 83,000/=
***Resident ticket price may change if the relevant authorities review park fees before the event date.
Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Packages
- Solo Package:- Standard class rates apply. Check tickets for the current rate.
- Couples Package (2 people):- 5% off the standard rate. Discount subject to program completion by both participants, otherwise, the ticket reverts to solo package.
- Family Package (a group of 4 or more):- 7% off the standard rate. Discount subject to program completion by all participants, otherwise, the ticket reverts to the couples or solo package accordingly.
Early bird offer:- 5% off the solo package if a 50% deposit is paid at least 30 days before the program commences.
– Transport from Nairobi and back
– Park fees & charges
– Armed ranger fees where applicable
– Guide services
– Paramedic services
– A liter of water, glucose, and 4 fruits for the day hikes
– Full-board accommodation in a standard two-man tent and a standard camping mat at Mt. Kenya — two people sharing a tent.
A private tent may be requested at an extra cost. However, we strongly discourage using a private tent for safety reasons. AMS symptoms commonly develop at night, therefore it is safer to have someone monitoring you.
– Services of a professional team of guides, cooks, and porters at Mt. Kenya
Ticket DOES NOT include
– Hiking gear, clothes, and other personal effects
– Sleeping bag and porter’s backpack
– Mandatory evacuation cover. If you do not have it, we can organize for your cover with AMREF for Ksh 1,600/= (one-month cover) or Ksh 2,500/= (annual cover) at no extra cost.
– Anything else not mentioned in the ‘Ticket Includes’ list
Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Package Payment Plan
Pay a non-refundable booking confirmation deposit of Ksh 6,000/= (or 12.5% of the ticket cost for non-residents) on or before September 5, 2021.
Top up to 30% of the total cost by day 40 of the program
Top up to 60% of the total cost by day 60 of the program
Clear the package balance by day 75 of the program
Mpesa Buy Goods till 989985
Other costs you might incur
- Hiking gear: thrifted hiking gear – Ksh 10,000-15,000; brand new hiking gear – Ksh 35,000-60,000/=
- Mandatory evacuation cover: Ksh 1,600/= for a one-month cover; Ksh 2,500/= for an annual cover
- Luxury accommodation: Although we strongly recommend against it, we allow you to book a private tent with a camping bed or mattress. The cost for this is from Ksh 4,000, subject to availability.
Cancellation and Refunds Policy
– The booking confirmation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable to a future event or program.
– The booking and booking confirmation deposit are transferrable to a different person on or before the program start date.
– Where cancellation is requested on or before the program start date, Ksh 6,000 or 12.5% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after the program start date, and on or before day 70 of the program, Ksh 16,000 or 34% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested after day 70 of the program, and before day 85 of the program, Ksh 25,000 or 52% of the program cost, whichever is higher, will be retained from the sum paid up. Any excess paid will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested on or after day 85 of the program, no refund will be issued.
– The Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Program ticket is bundled and may not be split into specific event tickets. Therefore, no-shows may not claim any amount for any event they miss.
– The Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Program subscription will be put on hold as soon as a milestone payment falls overdue.
– The Beginner to Mt Kenya in 90 Days Program ticket expires immediately a milestone payment becomes seven (7) days overdue. The ticket is deemed canceled on the date of expiry and the cancellation policy applies.
– An expired ticket may be revived by topping up the deposits paid to the sum total of the per-event rate for all events in the bundled ticket.
– Participation in the prep hikes is mandatory, otherwise, no adjustments will be made to the final cost.
– No-shows forfeit the entire deposits paid up.
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times, especially while onboard a vehicle.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
- Limiting sitting capacity in our vehicles:
* a 28-seater sits 15 people
* a 40-seater sits 22 people
- Requirement of a mask at all times while onboard a vehicle.
- Provision of sanitizers during boarding and onboard.