Kijabe Hills Hike & Dark Tunnel Experience — Lockdown Edition
Hiking the Kijabe Hills presents a good challenge to every adventure-seeking lover of the outdoors. Join us as we set out to discover the magic of the Kijabe Hills Hike. Our expedition starts at the AIC Kijabe Hospital, cutting through thick forest vegetation, to get to the caves and hot springs. We shall then proceed to the dark tunnel, an underground man-made water tunnel, with no light at the end. [Pun very much intended.] If you are bold enough, you will attempt to get to the end of the 2km pitch-dark tunnel.
Next, we will conquer ourselves by scaling the three Kijabe Hills, to get to a maximum elevation of 2,688m above sea level. Here, we will enjoy breathtaking views of the Rift Valley, with Mt. Longonot standing gracefully just a few kilometers across. Finally, we shall descend toward the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway, to exit via Soko Mjinga, where we shall connect with our transfer vehicles to Nairobi.
Kijabe Hills Hike Distance and Stats
Maximum Elevation Gain: 773m
Duration: 5-7 hours
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Kijabe Hills Hike Itinerary
5:15 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:30 a.m Departure from International House Parking, City Hall Way
07:30 Arrival at Kijabe Town
08:00 a.m Hike Starts
03:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Limuru Road pickups should make arrangements with the team lead by 8 p.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes.
- There will be no shopping stops in the morning. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time. Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi before curfew.
Adult residents: 2,650/=
Kids (7-14 years): 2,450/=
Self-drive: 1,300/= *Bring a driver with you. This is a one-way trail.
How to Book the Kijabe Hills Hike
Pay at least 1,600/= to Mpesa buy goods till 5064783 and clear the balance before boarding.
- Maximum number of tickets: 50
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Your ticket gives you 5% off purchases from Outdoorer Shop.
- Group booking (2 or more tickets) gives you 5% off the ticket cost.
- Early bird booking gives you 5% off the ticket cost if you pay in full more than 14 days before the event date.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide services
- Paramedic services
- A liter of water, glucose, and 4 fruits
PREPARING FOR THE HIKE
- Engage in active cardio exercises such as aerobics, walking, running, cycling, and swimming among others the week prior to the event.
- Set aside the day before the hike for resting -- take a break from exercises.
- Increase your hydration by at least two days to the hike.
- Purpose to get enough rest the night before the hike.
- Increase your carbohydrate intake two days before the hike. This helps boost your energy reserves. If on intermittent fasting or on a diet, take a break in the period one day before and after the hike.
- Cut your toe nails, please, cut your toe nails!
- Have a generous breakfast before stepping out of the house -- or at least 3 hours before the start of the event. This ensures that most of the food has been digested by the time you begin the hike, giving you the much-needed energy while ensuring your stomach is not too full for comfort.
- Use the bathroom before leaving the house. This avoids unnecessary bathroom breaks on the commute and during the hike.
- Set your mind up for conquering yourself. Hiking is 90% mindset, 10% physical preparation. Once you win the battle in your mind, everything else contributes less than 10%. You can do it!
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable sneakers, hiking boots, or other appropriate shoes.
– Comfortable hiking clothes. Jeans highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, dates, raisins, or fruits.
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants.
*** Note: KWS and KFS parks no longer allow plastics in. Please carry your supplies in reusable containers.
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS POLICY
– Where cancellation is requested more than 48 hours before the event date, a 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit will be issued. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– Where cancellation is requested 48 hours or less before the event date, no refund will be issued on the booking confirmation deposit. The excess paid above the booking confirmation deposit will be refunded in full.
– No-shows forfeit the entire amount paid up.
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times, especially while onboard a vehicle.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
- Limiting sitting capacity in our vehicles:
* a 28-seater sits 15 people
* a 40-seater sits 22 people
- Requirement of a mask at all times while onboard a vehicle.
- Taking temperature readings while boarding a vehicle.
- Provision of sanitizers during boarding and onboard.