Oldoinyo Eburru Forest Hike – Western Summit Trek
Eburru Forest: a trekker’s paradise. Stashed away in the outskirts of Naivasha, the sudden transition from the scorching Naivasha sun to the serene ambiance of the forest takes you aback at first. The hike starts at the Eburru gate, taking you through 11km of pure enchantment.
The magic follows you throughout the trek–up and down, up and down through the thick forest vegetation. It’s in the hundreds-year-old trees, the singing of the birds, the Ogiek beehives, the smell of blossoming flowers, and yes, the stinging nettles–especially the stinging nettles!
A precious mountain forest ecosystem, the natural features of Eburru forest, include its diverse forest types, steep valleys, springs, and waterfalls and make it a precious ecosystem, rich in biodiversity.
The trek through the forest walks you among hundreds of majestic indigenous trees, a hotspot for birdlife, and home to over 40 species of mammals. Eburru forest is also home to the critically endangered mountain bongo, whose 10% of its population (about 12 animals) known to exist in the wild is thought to survive in this forest.
The Oldoinyo Eburru mountain, on which the forest exists, is a complex volcano, featuring many craters and two distinct summits, the higher one rising to 2,856m above sea level.
The trek from the Eburru gate to the Western Summit trail start point is a rewarding easy-to-moderate 5km hike. The rest of the trek to the Western summit is a moderate-to-hard hike that provides a thrilling hiking experience, cutting through thick forest vegetation into the bamboo zone and eventually to the elusive summit.
We return to Eburru Forest to unlock Oldoinyo Eburru one more time this March.
Eburru Forest Hike Distance and Stats
Hiking distance: 22km
Duration: 6-8 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to Hard
Child-friendly: Yes, 7 years and above
Eburru Forest Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Eburru Forest, Naivasha
08:30 Arrival at Eburru Gate.
09:00 a.m Hike Starts
01:30 p.m Mandatory turn-back
5:00 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Limuru Road pickups should make arrangements with the team lead by 8 p.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes.
- There will be no shopping stops in the morning. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time. Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi before curfew.
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable sneakers, hiking boots, or other appropriate shoes.
– Comfortable hiking clothes. Jeans highly not recommended.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, dates, raisins, or fruits.
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants
*** Note: KFS reserves do not allow plastics in. Please carry your supplies in reusable containers.
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
Adult citizens: 2,999/=
Foreign residents: 3,199/=
Kids (7-14 years): 2,699/=
How to Book the Eburru Forest Hike
Pay at least 1,800/= to Mpesa buy goods till 5064783 and clear the balance by March 4.
- Total Number of Tickets: 60 participants
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
- Transport from Nairobi and back
- Park fees & charges
- Armed ranger fees
- Guide fees
- A liter of water and 4 fruits
Cancellations & Refunds
– Cancellation requested more than 48 hours before the event date: 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit.
– Cancellation requested within 48 hours or less: booking confirmation deposit non-refundable.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 NOTICE:
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
– Wear a mask at all times, especially while onboard a vehicle.
– Observe social distancing at all times.
– Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
– Limiting sitting capacity in our vehicles:
* a 28-seater sits 15 people
* a 40-seater sits 22 people
– Requirement of a mask at all times while onboard a vehicle.
– Taking temperature readings while boarding a vehicle.
– Provision of sanitizers during boarding and onboard.