Oldoinyo Lesatima Dragon’s Teeth Hike
Rising to an altitude of 4,001m (13,126ft) above sea level, Ol Donyo Lesatima is the highest of the Aberdares peaks and the third highest peak in Kenya. It is located on the Nothern side of the Aberdare range and can be accessed via two points: Mweiga (Wandare Trail) and Rhino and Shamata Gates (Mt Satima Dragon’s Teeth Hike).
This March, we set out on the Dragon’s Teeth trail via the Rhino Gate, hoping to conquer ourselves on the Satima Peak.
The gentle 8km trail will take us through a hiker’s paradise, trekking through fields of lush alpine vegetation, spotting a few wild animals, and walking past countless rows of magnificent craggy moraines, dubbed “Dragon’s Teeth”. The Dragon’s Teeth trail delivers some of the most breathtaking views of all hiking trails in Kenya.
NB: This is a mandatory prep hike for all who will be going on the Mt. Kenya Easter Climb.
Mt Satima Dragon’s Teeth Hike Distance & Stats
Duration: 6-8 hours
Mt Satima Dragon’s Teeth Hike Itinerary
4:45 a.m Meet up at International House Parking, City Hall Way. Boarding opens.
5:00 a.m Departure for Aberdare National Park.
09:30 a.m Arrival at Aberdare National Park Rhino Gate for registration
09:45 a.m Drive to the starting point at Twin Rocks
10:30 a.m Hike Starts
02:00 p.m Mandatory turn-back and descent in order to beat the curfew
EST 05:30 p.m Departure for Nairobi
- Please be punctual; latecomers will be left behind and forfeit the entire amount paid up.
- Limuru Road pickups should make arrangements with the team lead by 8 p.m on the eve of the event. Pickup stops will be no longer than 5 minutes.
- There will be no shopping stops in the morning. Please stock your supplies by the eve of the event.
- Please adhere to the set turn-back time. Punctual departure for Nairobi means everyone gets back to Nairobi before curfew.
Adult residents: 3,799/=
HOW TO BOOK
Pay at least Ksh 2,100 to Mpesa buy goods till 5064783 and clear the balance by March 25.
- Total Number of Tickets: 40
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
– Transport from Nairobi and back
– Park fees & charges
– Armed ranger fees
– Guide fees
– A liter of water and 4 fruits
– Valid identification document
– Comfortable, well-treaded waterproof hiking boots or shoes. No sneakers or rubber shoes, please.
– Comfortable, warm appropriate hiking clothes. No jeans, please.
– Snacks e.g lunchbar, crisps, nuts, fruits
– Enough water (at least 2L)
– Raincoat or rain jacket and pants
*** Note: KWS parks no longer allow plastics in. Please carry your supplies in reusable containers.
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED
CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS
– Cancellation requested more than 48 hours before the event date: 50% refund of the booking confirmation deposit.
– Cancellation requested within 48 hours or less: booking confirmation deposit non-refundable.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 NOTICE:
Help us protect you and others from infection. Please observe the following safety guidelines:
– Wear a mask at all times, especially while onboard a vehicle.
– Observe social distancing at all times.
– Observe proper personal hygiene when coughing or sneezing.
Below are some safety precautions we are adopting:
– Limiting sitting capacity in our vehicles:
* a 28-seater sits 15 people
* a 40-seater sits 22 people
– Requirement of a mask at all times while onboard a vehicle.
– Taking temperature readings while boarding a vehicle.
– Provision of sanitizers during boarding and onboard.