Rookie to Advanced Hiker: The Beginner’s Hiking Course
If you ever wanted to start hiking but did not know where to start, or you were afraid that it would be too difficult, our Rookie to Advanced Hiker program is specially crafted just for you.
Hiking is a sport and being a hiker is a skill of its own. There’s the gear, preparation, mental aspects, and much more. The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program is a 12-week course designed to both instruct and inspire you to walk the great outdoors. No prior hiking experience is required. By strategically walking the 5 core events of the program, you will become a competent hiker by the end of the course.
Right from the start, we will show you how to walk the outdoors, and everything that is required for your survival and safety — from the basics of keeping yourself safe on the trails to a guide on how to select proper gear. We’ll be there with you every step of the way. This ensures that you take consistent steps towards harnessing the power of walking outside for your fitness goals.
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program in brief
4 prep hikes (one every two weeks) carefully selected with increasing difficulty
1 Night’s Hike & Camp trip to Lake Ellis on Mt. Kenya
The Rookie to Advanced Hiker Program is for you if:
- You have no prior hiking experience.
- You want to start hiking but have absolutely no clue where to start.
- You simply want to learn hiking with no short-term goals to climb Mt. Kenya as in the Beginner to Mt. Kenya Program.
Rookie to Advanced Hiker 2021 Calendar & Schedule
The Rookie to Advanced Hiker program features a series of 5 hikes, one every two weeks, with increasing difficulty, targeted toward building resilience. The program runs thrice every year from January to March, May to July, and September to November. The current schedule is as follows.
May 16:- Orientation Day – Karura Forest
Goal: Meet the team, orientation to hiking gear and rules
We kick off the program with a four-hour orientation session at Karura Forest, where you get to meet the team and get introduced to the various hiking gear you will need along the way. You shall also be taken through the dos and don’ts of hiking–rules and guidelines to keep you safe, alive, and well on the trails. Thereafter, we shall hit the 5 km trail before heading home to prepare for our maiden hike the weekend after.
May 29:- Ol Donyo Sabuk – Mt. Kilimambogo
Our maiden expedition to Mt. Kilimambogo is a fair-to-moderate hiking experience meant to spark your interest in outdoor fitness life. The mountain is located along the Thika-Garissa highway, within the Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park. The trail begins at the base of the mountain, covering 9km to the summit at an elevation of 2,145m above sea level.
Goal: Introduction to hiking
Total distance: 18km
Hiking time: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Fair to moderate
June 12:- William Hill
William Hill is part of the Rift Valley escarpment on what’s commonly known as the Kikuyu Escarpment. The hiking trail starts at the old Italian Church along the Mai Mahiu highway. This is a moderate hike. The terrain is fairly flat, with a few steep rocky stretches. You get to enjoy amazing views of some features of the rift valley, such as Mt. Longonot, Kijabe Hill and Forest, and Mt. Margaret, as you ascend the one-way trail, to get to the peak near the highway at an elevation of 2,281m above sea level.
Goal: Introduction hiking
Total distance: 14km
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
June 26:- Mt. Longonot Crater Circuit
Mt. Longonot is a volcano on the Rift Valley floor, located approximately 75km from Nairobi. The Mt. Longonot hike is a moderate-to-hard hike. The trail starts at the base of the mountain, rising steeply on a 3.1km stretch to the crater rim, and then covering 7.2km around the crater. The Mt. Longonot summit stands at 2,776m above sea level, giving spectacular views across the Rift Valley.
Goal: Orientation to steep terrain
Total distance: 13.5km
Hiking time: 4-6 hours
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
Introduction to Tougher Trails
July 10:- Table Mountain, Aberdares
The Aberdares trails deliver unforgettable experiences, filling you with all kinds of emotions, from awe to anxiety, and the Table Mountain trail is no exception. The 6km trail starts at the Wanjohi Shopping Center, taking you through an initial steep ascent, before easing onto a gentle trek through the moorland. The trail ends at the Table Mountain peak, at an elevation of 3,792m above sea level.
This is a hard hike, which will introduce you to the unpredictable, harsh weather conditions at higher altitudes and deliver a new experience hiking through the various montane vegetation zones, in preparation for the Mt. Kenya climb.
Goal: Altitude acclimatization
Total distance: 12km
Hiking time: 6-8 hours
July 31-August 1:- Trek to Lake Ellis – Camping & Graduation
Our final excursion takes us to the breathtaking Lake Ellis at an elevation of 3,400m above sea level and the enchanting Nithi Fall along the magical Mt. Kenya Chogoria Route.
Day 1:- We begin our trek past the Chogoria Gate on a muddy trail through the beautiful Hargenia forest, past a fisheries station to get to the moorland. Our excursion first takes us to the Mugi Hill summit (3,550m ASL), from where we will enjoy scenic views of the peaks, and the beautiful Giants Billiard Table. We will then descend toward Lake Ellis. Prepare to be enchanted by the glittering blue-green reflections of the late afternoon sun on Lake Ellis against the beautiful backdrop of the Hindu Valley.
- Full program capacity: 50 participants
- Reservation will be made on a first-pay-first-reserved basis.
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Packages
- Solo Package:- Standard class rates apply. Check tickets for the current rate.
- Couples Package (2 people):- 5% off the standard rate. Discount subject to program completion by both participants, otherwise, the ticket reverts to solo package.
- Family Package (a group of 4 or more):- 7% off the standard rate. Discount subject to program completion by all participants, otherwise, the ticket reverts to the couples or solo package accordingly.
Early bird offer:- 5% off the solo package if a 50% deposit is paid at least 30 days before the program commences.
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Package-Includes
For each day trip
– Transport from Nairobi and back
– Guide services
– Armed ranger services where applicable
– Park fees
– Liter of water and fruits for the day hikes
– Full-board accommodation in a tent at Lake Ellis
– Services of a professional team of porters and cooks at Lake Ellis
Rookie to Advanced Hiker Payment Plan
Booking Confirmation: Register and pay a non-refundable deposit of Ksh 4,500/= before May 15
- Pay Ksh 5,500/= on or before June 10
- Top up Ksh 4,500/= on or before July 1
- Clear Ksh 4,500/= on or before July 20
Mpesa Buy Goods till 5064783
Cancellations & Refunds
- Ksh 4,500 booking confirmation deposit is non-refundable.
- Participation in all hikes is mandatory, otherwise, no adjustments will be made to the final cost.
- The package subscription will be placed on hold as soon as a milestone payment becomes overdue.
- The package subscription expires as soon as a milestone payment becomes 7 days overdue.
- If cancellation is requested on or before June 25, a refund of the excess of Ksh 7,500 from the deposits paid up will be issued.
- Where cancellation is requested on or before July 10, a refund of the excess of Ksh 11,000 from the deposits paid up will be issued.
- Should cancellation be requested on or before July 24, a refund of the excess of Ksh 13,000 from the deposits paid up will be issued.
- Should cancellation be requested on or after July 25, no refund will be issued.
- No-shows forfeit the entire deposits paid up.
- Payments are non-transferable to a future event or program.
- Payments are only transferable to a different person in the program before May 28.